How to Format External Hard Drive on Windows or Mac?
by Shirly Chen, 2016-09-11
In order to regain the full storage of external hard drive or wipe all sensitive data before selling/donating/throwing giveaway old external hard drive, we should format the external hard drive to clean up all data. Do you know how to format external hard drive? If you have no ideas, here are some solutions you can rely on.
Solution 1: Format External Hard Drive on Windows with Built-in Quick Format Feature
Formatting is usually used for cleaning up existing contents for initial use or cleaning up disk. Windows has a built-in feature to format the local or external hard drive. Here are the steps.
1. Connect your external hard drive with your computer. 2. Click My Computer and find your external hard drive. 3. Right-click the external hard drive icon. 4. Click "Format".
5. Click "Start" to format your external hard drive.
After quick format, all the existing files will be cleaned up. However, the formatted files can be recovered after quick scan. If you want to recover the formatted files, just download our free data recovery software to scan the external hard drive to find lost files.
Solution 2: Format External Hard Drive Using Mac Disk Utility
This solution is used for formatting external hard drive under Mac OS. Here are the steps: 1. Connect your external hard drive with your Mac. 2. Click "Launchpad", find "Disk Utility" and open it. 3. Select external hard drive, click on "Erase" to format the external hard drive.
Solution 3: Securely Format External Hard Drive on Windows and Mac with Super Eraser
The two solutions above can help you format external hard drive on Windows or Mac. However, it only cleans up the existing files, can permanently wipe the deleted/formatted data. It means the formatted files still can be recovered by free data recovery software or other methods. So it is not safe when you are going to sell, donate, or discard your external hard drive or lend it to other people because that other people may steal your information by recovery the formatted files.
Fortunately, Super Eraser offer the ultimate data erasing solution to help you permanently format external hard drive on Windows and Mac. It will format the external hard drive and permanently wipe all existing data, deleted/lost data and history traces.
>Here are the steps: 1. Connect your external hard drive with your computer. 2. Launch Super Eraser and select the mode "Wipe Partition/Device". 3. Select the external hard drive and click on "Wipe Now" button.
Super Eraser provides the ultimate solution to format external hard drive on a PC or Mac. The format methods are fully certified. It will permanently format the external hard drive and wipe all existing & history data. After formatting with Super Eraser, you can safely donate, giveaway, sell or lend your external hard drive to other people or just throw it away.
>Here you can download Super Eraser for Windows and Mac.
- Permanently Erase Data before Selling A PC or Hard Drive
- How to Securely and Permanently Wipe Seagate Hard Drive Data?
- Permanently Format Mac Hard Drive
- Permanently Erase Photos from Digital Camera
- How to Format External Hard Drive on Windows or Mac?
- Kroll Ontrack Data Erasure Software Alternative
- Prevent Recovery of Deleted Files and Formatted Files
- How to Permanently Delete Files in Windows 10?
- Two Ways to Format USB Flash Drive on PC/Mac
- Permanently Erase Data before Selling External Hard Drive
Data Erasure Tips
- Permanently Destroy or Erase Photos
- Permanently Delete Files on Mac
- Permanently Wipe USB Drive Data
- How to Permanently Erase SD Card Data
- Wipe WD (western digital) External Hard Drive
- Permanently Wipe All Data from Mobile Phone SD Card
- Permanently Erase Data on Removable Hard Disk
- How to Permanently Wipe Memory Card Data?
- How to Destroy Data from Windows 7 Hard Drive?
- How to Wipe Window 8 Hard Drive Partition?
- Shred and Destroy Word, Excel, PowerPoint files
- Permanently Delete a File from the SD Card
- How to Wipe Windows 2000 Hard Drive Partition?
- Securely Erase Data from Samsung Portable Hard Drive
- How to Wipe Hard Drive in Windows Server 2019?