SD card is widely used as storage device for digital camera, mobile phone, digital camcorder, voice recorder, etc. Unfortunately, this card storage device is prone to becoming corrupted, making it impossible to view saved data or store additional information on them. It means you can’t access to images or videos in the SD card and the SD card can’t be used any more. When this happens to you, you have to find a solution to fix the corrupted SD card and recover lost data from it. In this article, we will show you effective methods to fix corrupted SD card on Mac and recover lost data whether you’ve fixed the SD card or not.
- Part 1. SD card gets corrupted.
- Part 2. Recover lost data from corrupted SD card.
- Part 3. Fix corrupted SD card on Mac [3 methods].
- Part 4. How to protect an SD card from corruption?
Part 1. SD card gets corrupted.
If you encounter issues as belows, your SD card may get corrupted and need to be fixed.
- Your SD card won’t show up on your Mac or can’t be recognized by your digital camera, mobile phone.
- No files show on the SD card.
- You can’t access to the SD card.
- All files become shortcuts on your SD card.
- You see some unknown files when you open the SD card.
- Some files on the SD card are lost.
If you have an SD card that is experiencing signs of corruption, we strongly recommend that you stop using the SD card immediately. Further use, especially any attempts to save new information to the device, risks overwriting or further corrupting data that may be recoverable with a Mac data recovery software. Yes, when you find your SD card gets corrupted, you should stop using the SD card, then do two things: 1. Recover lost data from the corrupted SD card. 2. Fix corrupted SD card so that it could be reused.
Part 2. Recover lost data from corrupted SD card.
When you find your SD card can’t recognized by your Mac computer, you can check some settings on your Mac.
Related post: how to fix unrecognized SD card on Mac without data loss.
In some cases, after some simple operations, your Mac could recognize the SD card and all data could be used without any loss.
If you can’t fix the corrupted SD card via simple settings, or you have to format the SD card or some of files are lost from your SD card, you can try Mac data recovery software to help you get lost files back.
Step 1. Download and install Do Your Data Recovery for Mac.
Do Your Data Recovery for Mac is a safe, powerful and easy-to-use Mac data recovery application. It can help you quickly restore deleted or lost files from corrupted SD card or export files from an inaccessible SD card to your Mac without any loss.
Step 2. Select the corrupted SD card to start data recovery.
Insert the corrupted SD card to your Mac, and open Do Your Data Recovery for Mac. It will find the SD card, you need to select the SD card to start data recovery.
Step 3. Scan the SD card.
Now, just click on Scan button. Do Your Data Recovery for Mac will scan the SD card and find all existing files, deleted files and lost files on the SD card.
Step 4. Preview and recover lost files.
Once the scan is completed, you can preview all files. Then select the wanted files and save them.
1. Don’t save the recovered files to the SD card before you get all lost files back.
2. If the quick scan can’t find all lost files, try advanced recovery mode to deeply scan the SD card again.
Part 3. Fix corrupted SD card on Mac [3 methods].
Method 1. Format or initialize corrupted SD card.
Formatting is the most effective method to fix a corrupted SD card. Formatting operation will help fix logical errors and help you rebuild a compatible file system on the SD card. You can use Mac Disk Utility to help you format a corrupted SD card.
Step 1. Insert the SD card to your Mac.
Step 2. Open Disk Utility.
Step 3. Click to select the SD card and erase it.
Method 2. Repair corrupted SD card using Disk Utility.
Step 1. Open Disk Utility.
Step 2. Select the SD card and click First Aid.
If the two methods above is able to help you fix corrupted SD card, you will be able to access to the SD card on your Mac.
Method 3. Repair corrupted SD card using DoYourData Super Eraser.
DoYourData Super Eraser for Mac is one of the best data erasure software. Download and install it on your Mac, and then open it.
Format Corrupted SD Card - DoYourData Super Eraser for Mac offers disk tool to help you format hard disk drive or external device on Mac. Select the corrupted SD card and click Format button.
Wipe Corrupted SD Card - Wipe Hard Drive mode will help you format the corrupted SD card and permanently erase all data on the SD card so that all data on the SD card can’t be recovered by any data recovery software.
Part 4. How to protect an SD card from corruption?
Although the corrupted SD card can be fixed and lost data can be recovered by data recovery software, you still should use your SD card in proper way to protect it from corruption.
- Always insert and remove the SD card appropriately to prevent damaging the connector.
- SD cards can easily be destroyed when placed in a bag or pocket. Instead, store them in a protective base.
- Do not use your SD card on any unsafe computer or device.
- Eject rather than remove the card from the reader if you have the option to do so.
- Avoid turning off the device while a read or write operation using the SD card is in progress.
- Don’t shut down your Mac when the SD card is reading or writing data.
SD card can get damaged. Finding a proper method to fix corrupted SD card is necessary when you want to recover data from the corrupted SD card or you still want to use the SD card. With right data recovery software - such as Do Your Data Recovery for Mac, you are able to recover lost data from corrupted SD card on Mac.