Can't Find External Hard Drive On Mac, What Should I Do?
by Justin Kenny, 2018-04-05
What should I do if I find that my Mac can’t recognize the external hard drive full with my important data? Actually, when I realize that the Mac can’t find my external hard drive, I have to export my data at first. So, I connect the external hard drive on other PCs and Macs, but it still can’t be found. It really depresses me. Fortunately, I finally find solutions to export my data and fix the issue "can’t find external hard drive on Mac". Don’t leave away, I will share my experience.
1. Recover/export data from the can’t be found external hard drive on Mac
When I connect the external hard drive with my Mac, I can’t find it on the Mac. The first thing is ensuring the safety of my data in the external hard drive. As I can’t access to the data into the unrecognized external hard drive, so I have to find a data recovery solution to export my data from the external hard drive which can’t be found by my Mac.
I download a reliable data recovery program – Do Your Data Recovery for Mac. Actually, it is the most correct choice for me. It takes only three steps to recover all my files from the external drive that my Mac can’t find it. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Select the file types.
When I run this software on my Mac, it shows all file types that I can recover. I don’t need to select. Just let find all types of lost files from the unrecognized external hard drive on Mac. So, I just need to click Next to the step 2.
Step 2: Select the external hard drive to scan.
The step 2 will show all hard drives and external devices on my Mac. I find the external hard drive which I can’t find it on my Mac. Then select it, and click on "Scan" button. Then Do Your Data Recovery for Mac will quickly scan the external hard drive to find existing files and deleted files into the external hard drive.
Step 3: Preview and recover lost files.
After scanning, I just need to preview and recover my files. If I can’t find my files, I need to do the advanced recovery. It will find much more lost files. Simple and quick!
2. Make the external hard drive can be recognized by my Mac
As my Mac can’t recognize the external hard drive, I have to find a third-party disk formatting tool for Mac to format the external hard drive to make it can be recognized again by my Mac. Fortunately, Super Eraser for Mac, another great application from DoYourData, can help you securely and easily format the external hard drive which can’t be found on my Mac. The steps are very simple: download, install, run Super Eraser for Mac > choose mode ‘Wipe Hard Drive’ > select the external hard drive and click on ‘Wipe Now’ button.
Once the process gets finished, the external hard drive will be formatted and erased. Now, I can use the external hard drive on my Mac again.
Reliable Mac data recovery software to recover deleted, formatted or lost files from Mac or storage media.Download
Best iPhone data recovery software for Mac users to retrieve lost contacts, photos, videos, call history, SMS etc.Download
- Recover Lost Files from WD Elements Portable Hard Drive
- 1TB External Hard Drive Data Recovery
- Recover Lost Data from Memory Stick
- Recover Lost Data from Formatted Seagate External Hard Drive
- Mac USB Drive Data Recovery
- Recover Lost Videos and Photos from Sony Camera
- Recover Deleted Photos from Kodak Digital Camera
- Recover Lost Data from Toshiba External Hard Drive on Mac with Freeware
- Full Kingston USB Flash Drive Data Recovery Solution
- WD Red NAS Hard Drive Lost File Recovery
- How to Recover Deleted Videos from Digital Camcorder?
- Recover Deleted or Lost Digital Camera Photos under Mac OS
- Freeware for Raw USB Drive Data Recovery
- Mac USB Drive Data Recovery Freeware
- Restore Lost Files from Corrupted USB drive on Mac
- Recover Data from a Dead USB drive
- Restore Lost Files from Virus Infected USB Drive
- Unformat Toshiba External Hard Drive on Windows and Mac
- Recover Data from Unmounted External Hard Drive on Mac
- Recover Data from SanDisk Extreme USB flash drive on Mac
- How to Repair External Hard Drive on Mac?
- How to Recover Lost Data from XQD Card on Mac?
- How to Recover Lost Photos from Canon EOS Camera?
- Restore All Files When External Hard Drive Is Not Showing Files
- Old, Unused, Discarded, Dead External Hard Disk Data Recovery